Black composers are invited to submit an original work for bass clarinet solo or small ensemble.
Winners in each category will receive a $500 prize, along with publication of the work in the Alea Publishing catalog.
- Each composer is limited to one submission. Composers who have submitted in prior years, but were not awarded, are welcome to submit again.
- Use of the bass clarinet is required, but any other instruments/voices (to a maximum of 5) are at the discretion of the composer.
- Pre-recorded and/or synthesized sound may be included beyond the maximum of five performers.
- Works may utilize any combination of traditional and/or modern techniques.
- There is no minimum or maximum length for the piece submitted.
Submissions are now being accepted, with a final deadline of November 30, 2021.
To be eligible to submit in the student category, an individual must be currently enrolled at an Historically Black College/University.
A student need not be majoring in music to qualify.
The professional category is open to any Black composer who does not fit the criteria of the student category.